Chris Voss is CEO of the Black Swan Group and author of the national best-seller “Never Split The Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It,” which was named one of the seven best books on negotiation. A 24-year veteran of the FBI, Chris retired as the lead international kidnapping negotiator. Drawing on his experience in high-stakes negotiations, his company specializes in solving business communication problems using hostage negotiation solutions. Their negotiation methodology focuses on discovering the “Black Swans,” small pieces of information that have a huge effect on an outcome. Chris and his team have helped companies secure and close better deals, save money, and solve internal communication problems.
Chris has been featured in TIME, Business Insider, Entrepreneur, Inc., Fast Company, Fortune, The Washington Post, SUCCESS Magazine, Squawk Box, CNN, ABC News and more.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- The when, how, and why Voss got involved with Black Swan Group and more specifically in real estate deals
- How Chris Voss found new applications for negotiation skills built with the FBI
- Chris Voss’ specialty, and the basic skills that hostage negotiators use.
- The cross-cultural nature of negotiation
- Who is capable of becoming a talented negotiator
- The effect of stress on a deal, and how to reduce it
- How Voss’s program is structured
- Obstacles that people experience when learning new negotiation techniques
- The time it takes to start seeing results from the negotiation techniques
- The importance of getting people to say ‘yes’ during your negotiations
Additional resources from Chris Voss:
- Website: https://blackswanltd.com/
- Website: www.smartrealestatecoach.com/blackswan
- Twitter: @VossNegotiation
- Blog: Text: “fbiempathy” to 22828